With the help of technology like Noteflight every student gains knowledge of concepts and builds musical skills while composing original pieces.
Our Artists in Residence, Metropolis Ensemble visit with students during the the composing process. Each Workshop concludes with a live concert performance of every composition.
Free On Line Courses
Interactive, online courses help classroom teachers start their students composing. Students can enroll in courses, complete lessons and earn points and badges.
Composer mentors, teachers and peers provided supportive, instructive comments directly on each student’s score. YCIW is open to any independent or public school.
What Students Say!
- Campbell, 6th graderSince I’ve been composing music I can now listen to a song and sometimes tell what instrument is playing. I like composing a lot.
- Nina, 6th graderI really enjoyed learning about the Beatles for this piece because I really didn't know anything about it, and I love their music! Composing music has helped me with playing the violin and I really enjoy getting to watch the violinist from the Metropolis Ensemble play my music.
- Clara, 6th graderComposing has taught me a lot of things. It has been a great experience. If I composes in the future I will be prepared. I am very happy and grateful for this experience.
- Kai, 6th graderAmong other things, I learned that Japanese Folk Music uses the Pentatonic Scale. I mainly incorporated Japanese Folk Music into my piece by using the Pentatonic Scale, but I also listened to Japanese Folk Music and tried to emulate it. The trumpet played the main melody for most of the time. Most of the other instruments also play the main melody, but the trumpet plays the most. Over the last two years, I think music has been a fun experience. I enjoyed it overall. I have learned that if you work very hard, your piece can be very good.
- Besides learning new things in music I learned a lot about creativity. One thing I learned about being creative is there is really no one correct way of what music is.Brian, 6th Grader
- Composing has changed the way I listen to music because I've started to think about the chords and dynamics that I hear.Julia, 6th Grader