With the help of technology like Noteflight every student gains knowledge of concepts and builds musical skills while composing original pieces.
Our Artists in Residence, Metropolis Ensemble visit with students during the the composing process. Each Workshop concludes with a live concert performance of every composition.
Free On Line Courses
Interactive, online courses help classroom teachers start their students composing. Students can enroll in courses, complete lessons and earn points and badges.
Composer mentors, teachers and peers provided supportive, instructive comments directly on each student’s score. YCIW is open to any independent or public school.
What Students Say!
- Nina, 6th graderI really enjoyed learning about the Beatles for this piece because I really didn't know anything about it, and I love their music! Composing music has helped me with playing the violin and I really enjoy getting to watch the violinist from the Metropolis Ensemble play my music.
- Being a composer is great because I get to compare my music to music that I like.Ally, 5th Grader
- Composing has changed the way I listen to music because I've started to think about the chords and dynamics that I hear.Julia, 6th Grader
- It feels great to have the privilege to experiment and learn about music and composing!Kate, 5th Grader
- Besides learning new things in music I learned a lot about creativity. One thing I learned about being creative is there is really no one correct way of what music is.Brian, 6th Grader
- Campbell, 6th graderSince I’ve been composing music I can now listen to a song and sometimes tell what instrument is playing. I like composing a lot.